The Modelling Research and Development Centre (MVVS) was established on 15 October 1953 on the basis of a government ruling. Much of the credit for this must go to Zdeněk Husička - world record holder, pioneer and doyen of Czech modelling. The centre's mission was to ensure the competitiveness of Czechoslovak modelling on the international stage, thereby aiding communist propaganda.
An excellent team of enthusiasts was put together at once and the first international successes came in 1954. J. Sladký, one of the engineers at the centre, was overall winner at the world championship for picketed models in Paris in 1955, beginning a golden era for the MVVS, which won many world titles in speed and acrobatic flying. Its 1.5 to 10 cc engines were particularly impressive at this time, with the MVVS 2.5 R (2 world championship titles) and MVVS 5.6 A (3 world championship titles) becoming legendary. The MVVS also developed the Vltavan engines, production of which was later moved to Prague.
In 1971 the state began to run short of money and the MVVS was incorporated into the state concern Modela in Prague and its name changed to the Modelling Production and Development Centre.
In spite of the limited development opportunities open to the centre, the Malina brothers achieved a considerable success - the title of world champions in class F3D - pylon circuit races. The centre's production programme took in 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 and 6.5 cc commercial engines and, from 1988, a 10 cc engine.
The firm was privatised in 1991, becoming a limited liability company. At first it achieved some success on the German market and in the USA with new export opportunities. Around half of its production was taken by domestic customers. The company's product range expanded in the nineteen nineties to include 4.2 (combat), 4.6, 7.5, 8.0, 12.7 and 15 cc engines, developed by modifications to existing models, and completely new 20 and 25 cc engines, which were, however, produced for only a short time. A 23.6 cc twin cylinder and the company's first petrol engines (26 and 35 cc) proved more successful. Negligible investment in technology in the nineties was reflected in a decline in quality and commercial stagnation, and the company was sold in 2001.
The change in ownership brought a new team to the company, which endeavoured to revive the good name of the brand. A strategy of gradual modernisation of technology and products was implemented, and a development base created. All the engines in the production programme at the beginning of 2001 were modernised and all important production operations transferred to new CNC machines. The number of components bought in was reduced in favour of own production on new and more precise machines to improve the quality of the final products. A completely new 58 cc petrol engine was also developed, the properties and design of which make it the best engine in its class and the basis for a new series of MVVS products.